Disney Plus’ Obi-Wan Kenobi web series, starring Ewan McGregor in the lead, is finally making progress with production slated to begin in March 2021. McGregor dropped the news during his virtual appearance on BBC’s “The Graham Norton Show” on Friday.
The upcoming project is an Obi-Wan Kenobi story helmed by The Mandalorian director, Deborah Chow. McGregor will be seen donning the Jedi robes, yet again, this time on the small screen. “It’s not all me, but it certainly will be a lot of me, which is good,” the actor said jokingly during the interview.
The web series has been underway since August, last year and as per schedule, the filming was supposed to follow in 2020. However, writer Hossein Amino’s departure from the project led to inevitable delays in the shooting process.
Earlier this year, Amini was replaced by Joby Harold, and the script rewrites alongside the ongoing pandemic forced production to be delayed into 2021.
The actor expressed his appreciation for the legendary Alec Guinness, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy and passed away in 2000. Discussing what it might be like, walking in Guinness’ shoes, McGregor said:
“The fun thing about doing that in the first place when I was much younger was trying to imagine Alec Guinness, how would he play these scenes as a younger guy? It led me to watch some of his earlier work, which I had never seen before. Brilliant movies, wonderful films that he’d been in, and I had such a great time studying him in those movies.”
McGregor first appeared as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and since then has appeared in four other films, the latest being Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker where he reprised his role, in a voice cameo. The untitled Disney Plus Kenobi series does not have a release date yet.